Encountering God: The Spiritual Discipline of Thanksgiving
Episode 36 | November 23, 2021
We’re celebrating Thanksgiving this week with the spiritual discipline of thankfulness! (Look at how that worked out). The Cultivate podcast is back at my kitchen table, and I’m ready for you to pull up a chair. As we prepare our Thanksgiving menus, this is a week to also prepare our hearts.
We’re looking at 1 Thessalonians and how Paul specifically gives thanks to God for the PEOPLE in his life and ministry. And also his reminder for us to give thanks in all situations. As we approach this holiday season surrounded by friends and family, how much more meaningful it will be if we give thanks for how the Gospel is working in those we love.
Sign up here for the Encountering God Online Bible study, starting January 13, 2022.
To order the Encountering God Bible study, click here.
How do we Cultivate this in our lives?
- Give thanks for the specific ways that God is moving in the people around you. The verses we cover give you specific things to mention.
- Practice thanking God in all circumstances, even the ones that are difficult.
- Pray and intercede for those in your life who don’t know the Lord or who feel far from God right now.
1 Thes. 1:2-3
1 Thes. 2:13
1 Thes. 3:6-10
1 Thes. 5:16-18
I hope you experience Christ this Thanksgiving. And below you’ll find the Turkey Soup recipe for your Thanksgiving leftovers!
Thanksgiving Turkey Soup:
- After your Thanksgiving meal, take all the leftover turkey bones (from here on out known affectionately as the turkey carcass), put the turkey in a ziplock bag, and stick it in your refrigerator.
- The next day, 2 days max, take out the turkey carcass and deconstruct that turkey. Break down the turkey until it fits in your stockpot, discarding any of the excess turkey skin.
- Add water to your stockpot until it almost covers the top of the bones. Be careful, too much water and you will be left with a watered-down stock. You can gauge this.
- Simmer for 3 hours. You’ll be left with a really nice bone broth.
- Take out the bones and scrape off any leftover meat back into the stock..
- Add onion, carrots, celery, black peppercorns, salt, bay leaves, the sky’s the limit! Rice or potatoes are also a great touch to make it a hearty soup.
- Add back any additional turkey meat from your leftovers and there you have it, the perfect Thanksgiving leftover soup!
Stuff We Think You’ll Like
- Sign up here for the Encountering God Online Bible study, starting January 13, 2022.
- To order the Encountering God Bible study, click here.
- Dive deeper into The Word with one of Kelly’s many Bible Studies
- Opening Music to the Cultivate Podcast is Time For Singing from her project Hymns & Hallelujahs
- Sign up for Kelly’s newsletter at Kellyminter.com
- Connect with Kelly on Instagram and Facebook
- Check out Kelly’s work with Justice & Mercy International in the Amazon and in Moldova
- Help get the word out about the Cultivate Podcast. Click here to leave a review wherever you listen