Episode 42: Sermon on the Mount: Countercultural Blessings
Episode 42 | January 3, 2022
As we begin a new series in the New Year, I’m excited to focus on Jesus’s Sermon on the Mount in this new four-part series. We’re starting with the Beatitudes where Jesus gives descriptions of what it looks like to flourish and thrive in this life because of the arrival of His kingdom. He gives us an entirely new way to live! And it’s inherently countercultural to what our world defines as blessing.
The message of the Beatitudes is not reserved for those who have every materialistic luxury. In fact, Jesus initially taught this message to a group of people who were historically oppressed and marginalized. And the Beatitudes are not a to-do list for Christians, but instead a definition of Christ followers and how they walk in the newness of Christ’s kingdom. It’s a declaration–when you find yourself in these conditions and you’re a follower of Christ, you are blessed.
Looking for a great way to start the New Year? Sign up here for the Encountering God Online Bible study, starting January 13, 2022.
To order the Encountering God Bible study, click here.
- Matthew 5: 1-2
- Matthew 5: 3-12
- Psalm 145:15
How do we Cultivate this in our Lives?
- Spend time reading through Matthew 5:1-12. Journal and sit with the Lord, asking him to speak with you. Put yourself on the side of the Sea of Galilee and take in His words.
Stuff We Think You’ll Like
- Looking for a Bible study in the New Year? Sign up here for the Encountering God Online Bible study, starting January 13, 2022.
- To order the Encountering God Bible study, click here.
- Dive deeper into The Word with one of Kelly’s many Bible Studies
- Opening Music to the Cultivate Podcast is Time For Singing from her project Hymns & Hallelujahs
- Sign up for Kelly’s newsletter at Kellyminter.com
- Connect with Kelly on Instagram and Facebook
- Check out Kelly’s work with Justice & Mercy International in the Amazon and in Moldova
Help get the word out about the Cultivate Podcast. Click here to leave a review wherever you listen