Weeping Toward the Living God
Episode 48 | November 1, 2022
During difficult seasons, we can be tempted to turn back to our old ways of numbing pain. We can begin to question if God is actually good and if he cares about us. But these are not the times to forfeit what we have with Him. These are the times to struggle and weep with our faces pointed toward the Lord, trusting who he is when we can’t see what lies ahead.
I can hardly wait to start studying the book of Ruth with you in today’s Cultivate podcast. As we look at the first chapter, we’ll see three women showing us different ways of weeping. One goes back to her old life, the second turns toward God with bitterness, and the third turns toward Him with total commitment amidst the unknown. Her story–the story of Ruth–is a beautiful picture of how God is not limited by our impossible circumstances.
Weeping will come for all of us, but the direction we weep in is what makes the difference. I hope this episode will encourage you to turn toward Jesus, continuing with the things he has called you to do. There will be a day that your tears will reap shouts of joy (Ps. 126:5-6).
If you’d like to go deeper into the book of Ruth, Kelly’s brand new Bible study releases today! You can even download the first week for free. Check out Ruth: Loss, Love & Legacy at Lifeway.com/Ruth.
Ruth 1:1-18; Psalm 126:5-6
How Do We Cultivate This in Our Lives?
- Determine the direction you want to go. Ask God to help you move toward him in these times of weeping.
- Don’t walk alone. We need a godly community walking with us. Join a local or virtual Bible study group.
- Remember this is a season. You can sow seeds right now in your tears, trusting that there is a joyful harvest coming
Stuff We Think You’ll Like
- Cook the delicious grilled salmon with lemon sauce recipe Kelly mentioned in this episode! It’s included in the first week of her Ruth Bible study, which you can download for free here. Or, check out her full cookbook, A Place at the Table.
- Looking to go deeper? Order the Encountering God Bible here
- Dive into The Word with one of Kelly’s many Bible Studies
- Opening Music to the Cultivate Podcast is Time For Singing from her project Hymns & Hallelujahs
- Sign up for Kelly’s newsletter at KellyMinter.com
- Connect with Kelly on Instagram and Facebook
- Check out Kelly’s work with Justice & Mercy International in the Amazon and in Moldova
Help get the word out about the Cultivate Podcast. Click here to leave a review wherever you listen.