When People Aren’t Enough
Episode 4 | April 13, 2021
“Though Jacob never chose Leah, God had chosen her.”
Have you ever thought, if only this person would change I’d finally be happy? Or if this person would choose me I’d be fulfilled? Sharing one of the more personal chapters of her story, Kelly will help us recognize idolatry in our own lives. Especially when it comes to the false gods of people. We’ll look at the lives of Rachel and Leah (Genesis 29-30) who had both made false gods out of people. Things like comparison, jealousy, anger, and manipulation had gotten the best of them. As a result, they often missed the pursuit and blessing of God in their lives.
Leah and Rachel are relatable examples of what happens when we try to find our fulfillment in our relationships or our status—we will always be let down. More than just trying to overcome jealousy and comparison, today we’ll see that the Lord’s timing is always better than our own. His pursuit of us is always richer than our dreams and desires. Idolatry is a chameleon sin. Because it blends in, it’s easy to miss. Today we’ll expose it and call it by its name. Freedom awaits!
Character Focus: Rachel and Leah
Matthew 1:1-2, 16 (genealogy).
- If you want to go deeper on this topic, check out Kelly’s Bible study called No Other Gods: The Unrivaled Pursuit Of Christ
- Subscribe to the Cultivate Podcast at AccessMore or wherever you listen to podcasts so you never miss an episode.
- Sign up for Kelly’s newsletter at kellyminter.com and receive a 21-Day Devotional for a limited time.
- Follow Kelly on Instagram and Facebook.
- Kelly works closely with Justice & Mercy International in the Amazon and in Moldova. You can check out their work here: justiceandmercy.org
- If you like the opening music to The Cultivate Podcast you can find it on Kelly’s record Hymns & Hallelujahs. The song is Time For Singing.